Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do you live for your Reputation?

As I step onto the stage and voice my opinion, I cannot help but wonder – who is listening (or reading)? And what do they think? More personally, what do they think of me? I care, like every other human being, what people think of me. I behave, talk, or even alter my posture in the elevator to maintain some ideal reputation – automatically, almost without thinking. Today, after reading the quote below by John Piper, I spent the rest of the day considering how many times my actions and attitudes are dictated by some ideal reputation that I imagine myself having and which I seek to perpetuate. After reading the quote, ask yourself, “What reputation do I live for?”

What men think of us can burden or brighten our days. But it is of little account in the end. A good name among people may be better than great riches now, but neither name nor riches will survive the fire of [God’s] crucible. Truth is all that will matter. Not money or man’s opinion.

John Piper, Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment